American Legion Morris County

Veteran Solutions




White House VA Hotline

What is the White House VA Hotline?

The hotline’s pilot began under direction of the Veterans Experience Office on June 1, 2017, and entered phase two on October 15, 2017.

White House VA Hotline:  1-855-948-2311.

Calls are answered by a live agent 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.  The hotline is staffed by more than 60 agents who have had extensive training on VA programs and services.  Most of these agents are a Veteran, military family member, caregiver or a survivor.

The White House VA Hotline conducts immediate warm hand offs for at-crisis risk Veterans needing the services of the Veterans Crisis Line.

Trends identified by the hotline will be used to rapidly respond to systemic inefficiencies and empower VA employees to resolve Veteran concerns quickly.

Veterans should continue to use existing VA customer service hotlines:





Link to Application for TFA From the American Legion


Important link from NJ regarding Veteran Scams

List of Scams - Important List of Current Approaches Targeting Veterans





The following will provide a summary of most veteran related resources to guide and inform our Post, County and Department leaders and members, in support of all veterans.  The Department Employment, Homeless & Education Committee is available for assistance, but after our members and respective chairpersons pursue the help needed.  The individual veteran must also take the necessary steps to help themselves.

See, for all Employment, Homeless & Education information, bulletins and events. 


  • Request for Military Records

The New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs maintains and archives many military records of current and former members of the New Jersey Army and Air National Guard.  Additionally, the Department maintains and archives numerous discharge records of former Service Members of Active Duty and Reserve Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force who were residents of the State of New Jersey upon discharge from the military.  A copy of a Service Member’s discharge records are normally sent to the State that the Service Member called home on the day after his/her discharge. The State from where a Service Member was born, trained and/or discharged from does not guarantee that the Department would have these records.  Please note that the Department did not start receiving these discharge records until after 1995 or later.  See for additional information -

For further information see -  Also visit the National Personnel Records Center website for your records request.  You can also call 866-272-6272, or write The National Archives and Records Administration, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001.

  • A PowerPoint presentation is available for additional information.
  • Veteran Peer Support - Veteran Peer Support does not fix anything, but it offers an opportunity for a Veteran caller to normalize and relate. At times, it is seen that sharing can foster the insight to other strengths as a basis for the peer support experience.
  • Family Support - The helpline offers support to family members that may be experiencing a difficult situation. For example, a family member who experiences a loved returning home from a combat deployment may be confused of how to go about supporting their loved. Veteran Peers are available who have participated in overseas deployments.
  • Case Management - Four steps are involved in reciprocal peer support which are: connection, information gathering, case management, and affirmation and praise. Case management pertains to individuals looking to be linked to community resources. Once linked, we like to keep in touch to see if the resource was helpful and what are the goals.
  • SUICIDE - If you see any veteran that is having a hard time coping with their normal daily lives and/or cannot “fit” or adjust to society or is saying they want to take their life, please call the VA’s Military and Veterans Confidential Help Line at 1-800-273-8255, PRESS 1!  Or text 838255.  For all other non-life-threatening veteran affairs matters call the NJ’s funded VET2VET Confidential Peer Support at 1-866-838-7654, staffed by veterans 24/7.



  • VA (Veteran Administration) Services
  • Veterans Justice Outreach Program.  The aim of the Veterans Justice Outreach (VJO) program is to avoid the unnecessary criminalization of mental illness and extended incarceration among Veterans by ensuring that eligible, justice-involved Veterans have timely access to Veterans Health Administration (VHA) services, as clinically indicated. VJO specialists provide direct outreach, assessment and case management for justice-involved Veterans in local courts and jails and liaison with local justice system partners.
  • Community Based Outpatient Clinics:  A Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) is a VA-operated clinic or a VA-funded or reimbursed health care facility or site that is geographically distinct or separate from the parent medical facility.
  • Vet Centers - are community-based counseling centers that provide a wide range of social and psychological services including professional readjustment counseling to Veterans and families, military sexual trauma counseling, and bereavement counseling for families who experience an active duty death.
  • All VA Benefits. –According to the 2012 U.S. Census brief, the Veteran population ages 65 or older numbered more than 12.4 million. These Veterans served in conflicts around the world including World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and even in the Persian Gulf War. As Veterans age, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will provide benefits and services that address a variety of issues including the changing health risks they face and financial challenges through VA benefits.  -
  • Health Care for Re-entry Veterans Services and Resources.  Most Veterans who are in jail or prison will eventually reenter the community. VA’s HCRV program is designed to promote success and prevent homelessness among Veterans returning home after incarceration –
  • Veterans Needing Fiduciary Services.  The fiduciary program provides oversight of VA’s most vulnerable beneficiaries who are unable to manage their VA benefits because of injury, disease, the infirmities of advanced age, or being under 18 years of age. VA appoints fiduciaries who manage VA benefits for these beneficiaries and conducts oversight of VA-appointed fiduciaries to ensure that they are meeting the needs of the beneficiaries they serve.



  • GIGO Fund – GI Go Fund aids all military veterans, with a focus on veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan, by helping them find employment, access housing, and secure their education and health benefits.  See -
  • Veteran Employment Information for Employers.  Veterans served our country well. You can help honor their service – and benefit your business - by employing them. Veterans have a proven track record of dependability, teamwork, and individual problem solving from their military experience that can be put to work in your organization. Hiring service-connected Veterans could also qualify you for sizable tax benefits and other incentives from the federal government. Providing jobs for homeless Veterans is one of the most important things you can do to help those who served our country.
  • Employment Opportunities for Veteran.  The Homeless Veteran Supported Employment Program (HVSEP) provides vocational assistance, job development and placement, and ongoing supports to improve employment outcomes among homeless Veterans and Veterans at-risk of homelessness. Formerly homeless Veterans who have been trained as Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists (VRSs) provide these services.
  • The Homeless Veterans' Reintegration Program (HVRP) is an employment focused competitive grant program of the Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service (DOL-VETS), the only federal grant to focus exclusively on competitive employment for homeless veterans.
  • Companies that Hire Ex-offenders and Felons.

  • Local Veterans' Employment Representatives Local Veterans' Employment Representatives (LVERs) are state employees located in state employment offices to provide assistance to Veterans supervising the provision of all services to Veterans furnished by employment service employees, including counseling, testing, and identifying training and employment opportunities.  DVOP -Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program (DVOP) specialists develop job and training opportunities for Veterans, with special emphasis on Veterans with service-connected disabilities.  DVOP specialists provide direct services to Veterans enabling them to be competitive in the labor market. They provide outreach and offer assistance to disabled and other Veterans by promoting community and employer support for employment and training opportunities, including apprenticeship and on-the-job training.
  • NJ H2H (Helmets to Hardhats) offers veterans preparation for successful application to any of New Jersey's registered apprenticeship programs in the building and construction trades.


Homelessness & Financial Assistance

  • National Call Center (NCCHV) assists homeless Veterans, at-risk Veterans, their families, and other interested parties with linkages to appropriate VA and community- based resources. The call center provides trained VA staff members 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assess a caller’s needs and connect them to appropriate resources. The call center can be accessed by dialing 1-877-4AID VET (1-877-424-3838). NCCHV Chat enables Veterans, their families and friends to go on-line where they can anonymously chat with an information and referral specialist by visiting the webpage, clicking on the Help for Homeless Veteran badge, and then the Chat Online tab on the right side of the webpage.  See  
  • VA’s Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program provides funds to non-profit community agencies providing transitional housing (up to 24 months) and/or offering services to homeless Veterans, such as case management, education, crisis intervention, counseling, and services targeted towards specialized populations including homeless women Veterans. The goal of the program is to help homeless Veterans achieve residential stability, increase their skill levels and/or income, and obtain greater self-determination. For more information, please visit:
  • The Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF) Program is designed to rapidly re-house homeless Veteran families and prevent homelessness for those at imminent risk due to a housing crisis. Funds are granted to private non-profit organizations and consumer cooperatives that will assist very low-income Veteran families by providing a range of supportive services designed to promote housing stability. To meet this goal, grantees (private non- profit organizations and consumer cooperatives) provide eligible Veteran families with outreach, case management, and assistance in obtaining VA and other benefits, which may include: health care services; daily living services; personal financial planning services ; transportation services; fiduciary and payee services; legal services; child care services; and housing counseling services. In addition, grantees also provide time-limited payments to third parties (e.g., landlords, utility companies, moving companies, and licensed child care providers) if these payments help Veterans’ families stay in or acquire permanent housing on a sustainable basis. To locate a SSVF provider in your community, please visit and look for the list of current year SSVF providers or call VA’s National call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-888-4AIDVET (1-888-424-3838).


Service Providers

(Also see, for the VA’s SSVF program, which some of the following providers receive funding.  The list changes annually.)



  • NJ Veterans Diversion Program - The New Jersey’s Veterans Diversion Program offers access to counseling services for drugs or alcohol, job placement assistance, medical services and potential VA benefits to justice system-involved Veterans.
  • NJ Attorney Generals’ Offices of Division of Civil Rights (DCR) and Consumer Affairs (DCA).  DCR seminars started several years ago, and the first DCA “table top” took place at the Business Workshop in Camden County.   Veterans have separate and distinct civil rights.  See, or call 609-984-3136 (Trenton), 856-614-2563 (Camden), 973 648-4826 (Newark).  See, or call 800-242-5846 for any consumer affairs matters. 



Veteran Discounts Guide

Link to Guide

US Government Made Easy For Veterans

VA Loan Information


Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Overview

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder can occur following a life-threatening event like military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or violent personal assaults like rape. Most survivors of trauma return to normal given a little time. However, some people have stress reactions that don't go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD.

People who suffer from PTSD often suffer from nightmares, flashbacks, difficulty sleeping, and feeling emotionally numb. These symptoms can significantly impair a person's daily life.

 PTSD is marked by clear physical and psychological symptoms. It often has symptoms like depression, substance abuse, problems of memory and cognition, and other physical and mental health problems. The disorder is also associated with difficulties in social or family life, including occupational instability, marital problems, family discord, and difficulties in parenting.If you are suffering from PTSD, or know someone who is, the following list of resources and information will help you find help in dealing with PTSD and related conditions.  

Featured PTSD News

Center for Psychological Health and TBI Opens

The Department of Defense today announced the opening of a 24-hour outreach center to provide information and referrals to military service members, veterans, their families and others with questions about psychological health and traumatic brain injury. More


All states have a Nursing Facility Medicaid program that provides general health coverage plus coverage for nursing home services. These services include room and board, nursing care, personal care and therapy services.

 Nursing Facility Medicaid may pay for a stay in a nursing home if you need a “nursing-home level of care” or meet nursing home “functional eligibility criteria; and have income and assets below certain guidelines.

More information Click Here


Below are web-sites that provide information on Veterans benefits and how to file/ask for them.


Almost ten thousand women were there.

For a list of not only the women who gaves their lives in Vietnam but the start of a complete women's casualty list see: They Gave Their Lives has featured an interesting story about female Vietnam Veterans, entitled "Unarmed and Under Fire: An Oral History of Female Vietnam Vets."
Women in Vietnam

The Vietnam Womens Memorial Project's new website is at: